In the beginning: In the year 1836 in a garden of a house off Ledgate a Church Extension Chapel was erected to replace the Parish Church which was bursting at the seams. The new church took its name from Baillie the Revd. David Gemmill who donated his garden and contributed liberally to the construction.
Seven years later however the Disruption of the Church of Scotland took place and 450 ministers left to form the Free Church of Scotland. The minister of St. David's, the Revd Thomas Duncan, was one of those who left, with the wholehearted support of his congregation. Thus began Free St. David's.
Shortly afterwards the minister received a call to Lockerbie, which he accepted, and the Presbytery of Glasgow ordered the Congregation to hand over the keys of the Church.
Without a minister and now without a Church building the undaunted congregation moved to a field near the present site and worshipped in the open air!
By the following year a Church had been built and opened for worship in 1845. Several years later a heating system was installed and 'extras' such as a vestry, a bell, an organ and a manse were added. In 1878 a small hall was built to accommodate the growing activities of the Church.
When in 1900 the Free Church of Scotland united with the United Presbyterian Church, the church became St. David's United Free Church of Scotland.
The population of Kirkintilloch continued to grow however and it was with great thankfulness that in 1919 the minister, the Revd. Hugh Reyburn, announced the gift of a new church by Mrs David Paton Thomson in memory of her parents, Mr and Mrs John Scott. And so on a site adjacent to the existing church, built in the overall style of late Scottish Gothic, this very fine building was erected.
Yet another name change occurred in 1929 when the United Free Church united with the Church of Scotland and St. David's Memorial Church of Scotland came into being. The Model Constitution of the Church of Scotland was adopted in 1965 but permission was granted for members of the Congregational Board to continue to be known as Deacons.
Then in 1991 the two congregations of Park Church Kirkintilloch and St David's were succesfully united to form St. David's Memorial Park Church, Kirkintilloch.
And so we come to the most recent change, when on 19 September 2007 our completed halls development project was opened by Rt Revd David Lacy, a former moderator of the General Assembly. The existing halls were redesigned, modernised and supplemented with additional rooms to provide modern and functional accommodation. This was made possible as a result of a generous bequest by the late Robbie Williamson and the committed giving of the congregation.
The New Halls - September 2007..