the Beginning: In the year 1836 in a garden of a house off Ledgate a
Church Extension Chapel was erected to replace the Parish Church which
was bursting at the seams. The new church took its name from Baillie
the Revd. David Gemmill who donated his garden and contributed liberally
to the construction.
years later however the Disruption of the Church of Scotland took place
and 450 ministers left to form the Free Church of Scotland. The minister
of St. David's, the Revd Thomas Duncan, was one of those who left, with
the wholehearted support of his congregation. Thus began Free St. David's.
afterwards the minister received a call to Lockerbie, which he accepted,
and the Presbytery of Glasgow ordered the Congregation to hand over
the keys of the Church.
a minister and now without a Church building the undaunted congregation
moved to a field near the present site and worshipped in the open air!
the following year a Church had been built and opened for worship in
1845. Several years later a heating system was installed and 'extras'
such as a vestry, a bell, an organ and a manse were added. In 1878 a
small hall was built to accommodate the growing activities of the Church.
in 1900 the Free Church of Scotland united with the United Presbyterian
Church, the church became St. David's United Free Church of Scotland.
population of Kirkintilloch continued to grow however and it was with
great thankfulness that in 1919 the minister, the Revd. Hugh Reyburn,
announced the gift of a new church by Mrs David Paton Thomson in memory
of her parents, Mr and Mrs John Scott. And so on a site adjacent to
the existing church, built in the overall style of late Scottish Gothic,
this very fine building was erected.
another name change occurred in 1929 when the United Free Church united
with the Church of Scotland and St. David's Memorial Church of Scotland
came into being. The Model Constitution of the Church of Scotland was
adopted in 1965 but permission was granted for members of the Congregational
Board to continue to be known as Deacons.
in 1991 the two congregations of Park Church Kirkintilloch and St David's
were succesfully united to form St. David's Memorial Park Church, Kirkintilloch.
so we come to the most recent change, when on 19 September 2007 our
completed halls development project was opened by Rt Revd David Lacy,
a former moderator of the General Assembly. The existing halls were
redesigned, modernised and supplemented with additional rooms to provide
modern and functional accommodation. This was made possible as a result
of a generous bequest by the late Robbie Williamson and the committed
giving of the congregation.
New Halls - September 2007.